I came across a great veggie burger recipe on MindBodyGreen, and I couldn’t wait to put my own spin on it. I love foods with a little bit of kick, so I added some chili powder and hot pepper flakes, in addition to, red onion and fresh garlic. The best part is the preparation does not take nearly as long and the burgers don’t fall apart like a lot of other homemade recipes. You’ll definitely want to bookmark this recipe, because it is simply amazing, and, hands down, one of the best homemade veggie burgers ever!
Did I mention it’s also full of anti-inflammatory foods, including kale, carrots, chickpeas, quinoa, garlic, onion, pumpkin seeds, and zucchini?! Talk about a healthy burger that’s also mouth-watering! Try it out and let me know what you think!
- 2 cups of veggie broth
- 1 cup of tricolor quinoa
- 1 -15.5 ounce can of chickpeas
- 1 cup of grated carrots
- 1 cup of grated zucchini (green or yellow)
- 1 ½ cups of chopped kale
- ½ cup of raw pumpkin seeds (chopped or whole)
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 4-5 chopped garlic cloves
- ½ cup of gluten-free Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour (or a flour of your choice)
- 2 Tbs. nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp. chia seeds
- 2-3 tsp. cumin (depending on your tastes)
- 2-3 tsp. chili powder (depending on your tastes)
- 2-3 tsp. hot pepper flakes (depending on your tastes)
Bring veggie broth and quinoa to a boil in a pot, then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes (until broth is absorbed). Cook the chickpeas in another pot for about 10 minutes and mash. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to mix well (be careful of the hot quinoa and chickpeas). If you’re making these ahead of time, form 8 large balls and refrigerate for later. If you want to cook up the veggie burgers right away, flatten each ball into a pattie.
I chose to grill the veggie burgers on a medium flame. Be sure to spray the grill with non-stick grilling spray. Grill each side for about 5 minutes.
If you’re cooking indoors, heat some EVOO in a skillet on medium heat, and add the burgers. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.