Throughout my life, I have had a major sweet tooth. From eating donuts to candy bars, I’ve always had a hankering for sweets. Even though I eat healthy most of the time, I still crave sugary snacks. And I’m here to let you know it’s okay and normal for your body to crave sweets! That’s why I came up with this healthy Almond Joy alternative.
These energy balls are packed with protein that will keep you full while also fulfilling your sweet tooth. Keep in mind, it’s important to use healthy alternatives for sweeteners as opposed to refined sugar. Refined sugar and its equivalents are nutritionally void calories. With that being said, this recipe uses pure, maple syrup, which is an anti-oxidant powerhouse. So don’t feel guilty when eating one of these delicious energy balls!
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tsp flax meal
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 scoop (15 grams) of Plantfusion chocolate protein powder
- 3 tsp organic unsweetened coconut shreds (to mix into the balls)
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened coconut shreds in a separate bowl (to coat the balls)
- 1 3/8 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life)
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1 cup organic peanut butter
Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix in the peanut butter and maple syrup and form mixture into balls. Coat the balls in the coconut shreds and place on a parchment paper coated baking sheet. Place in the freezer for at least an hour. These energy balls are a perfect mid-morning pick me up and are easy to pack to take on-the-go.