I have always wondered where grapefruit gets its name from because it looks nothing like a grape, except that it is round. Grapefruit is an ancestor to of the Jamaican sweet orange and the Indonesian pomelo. The name grapefruit alludes to the clusters of fruit on the tree which appear similar to grapes. So now we both know where it gets its name!
There are so many benefits to grapefruit and it should incorporated into your daily food intake! I love the sweet and sour taste of the pink grapefruit. I scoop out all of the flesh and then squeeze all of the delicious juice into a glass and drink it, how refreshing!
Here are some reasons why you should be eating more grapefruit:
- Grapefruit helps you lose weight because it contains enzymes that burns fat and increases your body’s metabolism.
- It contains lycopene which is responsible for the red color of the grapefruit. Lycopene is a powerful agent agains tumors and cancers.
- The antioxidants in grapefruit help reduce cholesterol levels.
- Grapefruits help treat colds and fevers, boost liver function and enhances your immunity.
- Grapefruit is also great for promoting healthy and smooth skin.