All of this cold winter weather had me craving something that reminded me of warmer, sunnier days. So, I looked at what food I had on hand and saw that I had tons of sweet potatoes, a plain bag of coleslaw, avocado….and then it hit me! I would make my own homemade version of black bean and sweet potato tacos. I also had a bottle of Sriracha hot sauce that I was dying to incorporate into a meal. For those of you who may not be familiar with Sriracha sauce, it is an amazing hot sauce that gives your food a nice kick. There are so many flavor combinations, your mouth won’t know what to do! There is sweet from the sweet potato, then a zesty kick from the Sriracha, tangy from the lime, and a nice cooling crunch from the coleslaw mixture. This meal will be sure to tantalize your taste buds. So sit back, close your eyes, take a bite and envision the summer breeze carrying you away.
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (medium size)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 3 large sweet potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 140z. bag of Dole plain coleslaw
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tbs turmeric
- 1 tbs chili powder
- Himalayan pink sea salt to taste
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- olive oil spray
- 1/4 cup Bragg’s apple cider vinegar
- Sriracha for drizzling on top of tacos
- Avocado slices for garnish
- Tomatos chopped for garnish
- Lime wedges for garnish
- Heat oven to 375, line a baking sheet with foil sprayed with non-stick olive oil spray. Combine cubed sweet potatoes, 1/3 tbs garlic powder, 1/3 tbs cumin, 1/3 tbs chili powder and 2 tbs of olive oil in a bowl. Place the coated sweet potatoes on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until soft.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 tbs of oil, add onion and serrano pepper, cook about 4 minutes. Add the black beans, 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/3 tbs cumin, 1/3 tbs garlic powder, 1/3 tbs chili powder and sprinkle of sea salt. Cook about 7 minutes and then stir in the cooked sweet potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coleslaw, 1/3 tbs garlic powder, 1/3 tbs chili powder, 1/3 tsp cumin, 1/3 tbs olive oil, 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar and sprinkle of sea salt.
- Place tortilla on a plate, add the coleslaw mixture, top with sweet potato/bean mixture and drizzle Sriracha sauce on top. Garnish with a lime wedge, avocado slices, and chopped tomatoes. Enjoy!