Craving a fresh salad with a Mediterranean flavor? The lemon, olive oil and garlic make this quinoa taste so fresh and delicious! If you are tired of eating rice and want to try something new, quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) should be on your next menu.
Quinoa was called the “gold of the Incas” because they believed it increased stamina in their warriors. Here are the health benefits of quinoa:
- It’s one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat
- It contains twice as much fiber as most other grains
- It contains iron and is rich in magnesium which helps alleviate migraines
- It reduces your chances of developing type 2 diabetes, and if you have diabetes already, it helps keep glucose levels balanced.
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic quinoa
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- juice of 2 fresh lemons
- 9 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 bundle of fresh asparagus
- Himalayan sea salt and black pepper to taste
Combine the vegetable broth and quinoa, bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. In a separate pan, saute the garlic and asparagus on low heat until asparagus is cooked through. Pour the cooked quinoa into the pan with the asparagus and pour in the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder and salt and pepper and stir until completely coated. Place mixture on top of salad greens and enjoy!